Friday 17 September 2021

Just Another Mountain by Sarah Jane Douglas

Just Another Mountain is definitely one of those you will hold to your heart after you've read it, and feel a myriad of emotions.

With stories from childhood to adulthood all joined by the love of nature and walking, I haven't felt as much about a book, than i did when I read this, in years. It felt an honour to read what Sarah had shared, like a friend passing you her diary.

Her mum's cancer battle, and then hers, had my grieving alongside her. Recently a good friend passed away to cancer and I haven't spoken to many about how I'm feeling. Sarah's recap of watching her mum fight the disease, and what she herself went through, was so true to my own experiences that I felt comforted.

There is a deep honesty to this book that I appreciate. The vulnerability is so beautifully human that I respect it greatly, but despite the heavy topics and life experiences there isn't a loss of humour or lightness. The fun and sweet moments are still prominently there and I enjoyed every moment of getting to know Sarah and her life.

Reading this has helped me feel more connected, and every scenic moment is described so beautifully without embellishment that I had to get outdoors myself and be reminded just how freeing it is.

Thank you for sharing your life with me, Sarah, I am truly grateful.

Favourite lines:

"Turning up at a friend's house, she was promptly given a pair of socks and shoes. I wished I could have known her then."

"She was more than just a mum. She was my very best friend, the person I knew I could always turn to."

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Emoji response: 💖😪😅❣💔🌳🏞

No comments: