Saturday 21 August 2021

My review of Each Little Universe by Chris Durston

 There is no way I can write an "about this book" section, as there aren't the words to sum up what this is about. There are two inventors, cats, a bread heater that catches fire and using role-playing games to pull off a real heist. 

Oh and there's a star (one from the sky) who is a person. Like Stardust, but less white gowns and angelical and more gen z art student who is freaking adorable.

Whatever you do, do not read the blurb just so you can experience first hand the crazy magic coating the pages of this book. Chris has written something so spectacular that there isn't a single sentence that could be classed as basic or simple. It's as if Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett sat down and played a "who could be the most strange" word game and wrote it all down: and I mean this in the best way. I was snorting with laughter by page 2.

These characters are not just random, they are kind, weird to the point of it being the norm (you'll get used to it), wordy (I had to Google some of the words used) and creative (whiteboard blankets just made playing noughts and crosses whilst having a sleepover easier). If anyone wants campaign ideas for DnD or other role-playing games then this will definitely provide you with a few. The creative detail is absolutely on point and I'd like a tour around Chris' mind just to see what other golden ideas he's got in there.

Unsurprisingly I kept expecting a dragon to just crash through the ceiling without anyone reacting.

The best part? The pure nostalgia. Reading about this awesome friendship group and how they act reminded me of holing up in hotel rooms at conventions and talking till 3am, or the time I had a sleepover in an attic and woke up with two of my friends stuck to me. These characters remind you to breathe, love and live and remember the true meaning of friendship. The fact there are nonbinary and LGBTQAI characters and absolutely no toxic masculinity just makes me feel all the warm fuzzies of a VERY happy reader.

Your can order the book here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1656968223/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_46MFYJ399BHKXV3K7AQN

Meanwhile I'm gonna go procrastinate on how to laminate a blanket. 


Final thoughts

Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Emoji response: πŸ˜‚πŸ’–❣πŸ₯ΊπŸ™ˆπŸ€―⭐😳

Favourite lines: "I'm not sure whether that was incredibly insightful or the most meaningless thing you've ever said."

"Weird how time passes and then you just call it something else."

Proposed drinking game for readalongs:

A drink every time

-Derrida gets punched in the arm

-Derrida uses a word more than 6 letters long

-someone says something grammatically incorrect 

-one of the group is freakin adorable

No comments: