Thursday 12 August 2021

The Left Handed Book Sellers of London

About the book:


A girl's quest to find her father leads her to an extended family of magical fighting booksellers who police the mythical Old World of England when it intrudes on the modern world. From the bestselling master of fantasy, Garth Nix.

The Left Handed Book Sellers of London by Garth Nix is delightfully crazy, confusing in the best way, packed with energy and as if Narnia, Supernatural and Sherlock Holmes had a love child.

The main character, Susan, is so hugely relatable due to the simple fact she has no clue what is going on, just like myself as a reader who was turning the pages, baffled but hugely entertained.

The concepts are so out there, they couldn't be anything other than fascinating. Book Sellers who are also some kind of secret society who carry weapons. Book Sellers who have ghosts (sort of ghosts?) Of their grandmother in their basement. There is magic in places where magic hasn't even been used and some great bits of humour including the fact that this isn't some rich society but a group of booksellers who are every bit as broke as each other.

Also, can we all just appreciate the Jaffa Cake addiction? I definitely appreciate that, so much.

One thing that got me squealing with happiness was the absolute obliteration of gender binary and how inclusive this book is. I mean, Merlin being soft and femme and wearing a dress and his sister wearing the suit. Susan appreciating Merlin in both female and male form. Merlin asking Susan which bathroom she wanted to use instead of assuming.

Reading this book was like stepping through a door. I would walk to work whilst listening to the audio book and have to check behind me just to see if there were any goblin children waiting to dance me away to the May Fair. The writing is so believable I could see and sense everything and I don't think I'll be able to look at fog the same way again! It is a brilliant way of bringing all the old myths, legends and beliefs to life but putting them just behind the curtain to create a world where the supernatural and magical is right there, but ordinary people might never know about it.

I have to say, if this doesn't end up being a movie or TV show then I will be absolutely devastated. I definitely want to see this phenomenal work on the big screen.

Though there is magic, there is also terror. The type of terror you are both scared and excited by. Goblin dances that whisk you away before you can blink, huge hounds that bare their teeth, statues that walk (still not over the weeping angels from Doctor Who) ...it is both dark and brilliant and I am definitely a Garth Nix fan.

Emoji reaction: πŸ˜†πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜΅πŸ˜³πŸ’€πŸ™ˆ❣πŸ‘€πŸΊπŸŒΉ
Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Would I recommend?: GO BUY IT NOW.

No comments: