Thursday 12 August 2021

An Interview with Katherine Shaw, author of Gloria ~out 8th September!

 Katherine Shaw is a multi-genre author and is also a genuine and down to earth person. When I reviewed Gloria, I was a) absolutely thrilled to be reviewing such a brilliant and vibrant book and b) full of joy to be working with a fellow writer and book fan from Yorkshire! 

Her characters leap off the page, the setting is tangible and the dynamics strong. Katherine kindly took the time today to answer my questions on her new novel. 



Where did the idea for Gloria come from?
KS: I came up with Gloria and the opening scene for the book during the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, when I was looking out over the Humber Estuary near my house. I was thinking about the ferries which would usually be coming and going, and who might be on them, escaping to a better life. A week or so later, I saw a man and his daughter walking along the riverbank. As they looked out over the water, they became Elias and Iris and the story came together from there. 

What made you choose Amsterdam as a pinnacle setting?

KS: I knew Gloria would be escaping the UK, and having travelled the Hull to Amsterdam ferry route myself in recent years, I wanted to draw on some of my own experience for that aspect of her adventure. I've visited Amsterdam a few times myself, and it's a wonderful, vibrant city that fit perfectly with the life Gloria truly wanted.

What was your favourite part to write? 

KS: Ooh that's a tricky question! I think my favourite scenes were either the ones with Meryl (my favourite character!) or, strangely enough, the ones with Greg. I like creating tension, and each scene with him gave ample opportunity for that.

Meryl is such a lovely character, so well rounded and maternal -is she based off anyone you know?

KS: No, but she was by far my favourite character to write! I love that she's so maternal and caring, but also a super stylish badass. She was a dream to write. 

What's your typical day like when you are writing?

​KS: I have to get into a routine to hit my writing goals, so I aim to write at least 500 words a day when I'm working on a longer piece like Gloria. I work full-time alongside writing, so this typically means I have to slot in writing sprints in my lunch breaks or after work. It can be tricky to fit it in, but thankfully I work quite well in short bursts so I always get there in the end!

Where's your favourite place to write?

​KS: People may be surprised to learn that I actually do most of my writing on the sofa! I have a writing desk upstairs for when I really need to concentrate, but for day to day writing I'll sit comfortably on the sofa with my laptop on my knee and get stuck in.

I'd have loved to read more about Katie and Gloria's adventures together-do you plan on writing a prequel/novella?

KS: How did you guess?! I really want to write a companion novella which focuses on Gloria and Katie's time together before she moved back to the UK. I have a couple of ideas rattling around in my head but nothing fixed yet. Watch this space!

Well, I am definitely excited!

Gloria is out on 8th September and you can pre order it here: Gloria: A tale of suspense and self-discovery



No comments: